Sunday, October 26, 2014

Book Review: The 4-Hour Workweek

This book has been sitting on the Etap Communications library shelf for a long time. The title has
always been very intriguing to me, but for some reason I hadn't read it. I wish I had read this book first when I was ready to start my professional career. Author Timothy Ferriss doesn't just focus on the professional aspect of how to work more efficiently, but really encourages you to re-evaluate your lifestyle, your wants, needs and desires and how to focus your energy on achieving the things you want to do in life.

I share my love of traveling with the author, which is why I could instantly relate to the ideas in this book. Your dream may be to do something that does not include travel, but the fact of the matter is, nearly everyone has to work. We need money in order to live, however, Timothy argues you don't need as much money as you may think. He also gives examples about how these ideas can apply to couples and families, not just a single guy or gal wanting to "live the dream."

Here are some highlights of what you'll take away from this book:
  • Focus on being productive instead of being busy
  • Ask yourself if you're inventing things to do to avoid doing the important
  • Maintain a low information diet
  • Split your dreams into Having, Being and Doing - the Having category should have the least amount of things
Even if you don't own your own business, or enjoying working 40+ hours a week, reading this book will give you a good perspective on your dreams.

No comments: