Monday, July 1, 2013

Turn Off Your Electronics

I recently went on a family vacation out of the country and was forced to turn my phone off, travel without a computer and cut off all ties to the electronic world. This meant taking careful preparation to make sure everything was covered. The first day I was thinking about stuff I needed to do when I got back and I had to consciously stop myself. Here are some tips when you decide to take a vacation away from electronics.

1. Realize the work world doesn't stop because you are unavailable. (That was one of the hardest things for me.)
2. But you can prepare to be out by finding backups for all of your necessary responsibilities, especially if you run social media profiles.
3. Make sure your out-of-office (for all email accounts you run) is set-up and says you won't be available by email or cell.
4. Don't tempt yourself by bringing any paper work or business-related items. (I did bring Forbes mixed in with my Glamour magazine.)
5. Relax and enjoy the things outside of work. That may be the beauty of your surroundings, your family, whatever it is - enjoy being away from your office or work.
6. If you can't seem to do number 5, take a couple deep breaths and reread number 1.

No comments: